2x1x1 paludarium -- crayfish set up

Forum for discuss suitable animals for Immersed setup/Paludarium/Terrarium/Vivarium etc.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

2x1x1 paludarium -- crayfish set up

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Hi guys, i have a 2x1x1 tank which i wanted to convert into paludarium . Moreover i wanted to keep crayfish there,,,,,

Please share ur views,suggestion as i am new to paludarium and crayfiah both
xarg0n
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: 2x1x1 paludarium -- crayfish set up

Unread post by xarg0n »

Crayfish are fairly hardy species, do not worry about them, you have already visited mine, all they need is regular water change and good food having 50% veggies. But you have to be
careful about its accessibility to plants in the palu(though I guess it should be quite unreachable to it), as they are fond of anything green, and regardless of plant type, they will finish
all within 2 days. Voracious omnivore is what they are.

I cant help you with setting up a Palu though as I have never had chance to have one. But by every means you need to maintain Highly moist environment if want to be successful, as
most of the plant species fit for Palu will demand that.

Lights, yes any day ! :D
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself"- Napoleon Bonaparte
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Will discuss in detail about this....Regular water change might b an issue as this set up will not b at my place......in that case need to opt for something else....
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Pinaki Dada you dont need a paludrium to keep cray. However if you want to make a palu for them you can certainly do. But do remember they can eat anything and everything and if they can get hold of the plants they can eat it off.

Do ensure that their tanks are well covered coz they are big time escape artists.

Try to search for dwarf mexican crayfish they are not so much aggressive, the one we get in galiff grow very huge and you can keep one in that setup.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Ok ,,,,, will keep that in mind sir ,,,,,,, lets see what best i can do
xarg0n
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by xarg0n »

Abhishek is right as always about shrimp/lobsters,

mine kept in a barebottom tank with 6 inch water, and I had watersprites floated to get rid of Nitrate & phosphates as suggested by pinaki earlier. But soon I realized
once it molted a few times , 6 inch of water is nothing for it to get hold of the floating roots of water sprites. That bugger used to hold and hang from the roots upside down and was slowly devouring
it from inside. after few days All I was left with was few little new growth which were still quite light and small for it to reach and hang from. Later I increased the water level to 1 feet and now again the water sprites
have almost covered the surface as you have seen recently. Bugger sits tight on the floor now and munchs on marine-A premium grade hikari large 4 mm granules I use for my Marine herbivores.
while this food is quite nutritious and 2 of these pellets means stomach full for most of the fishes like tangs, the Cray consumes 7 of those at a time per feed !
Now imagine how much they can eat. Oh and also he somehow managed to catch one of my emperor tetras worth 35 INR before I actually moved him to the new tank.

Here is one snap taken few molts before, now it is double the size .
DSC_3026.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself"- Napoleon Bonaparte
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I have seen it in person..... its a treat to see it grabing food with its claws..... the pic is not justifying the intense color of creature which I witnessed during my visit at Sourav's place...... I might not keep this in my Palu as I have some other plan...will dicuss with u in detail.......as of now I am worrying about the rain system in palu.... will give u the dimension of overhead box tonight......

New project....quite excited :) :)
Abhishek

Lovely Cray you have Sourav Da :) Is it blue or have a blue tinge?
And more over what a lovely insights you have provided them eating off the floating plants also :). But mine never touched moss, I guess it was small for their appetite 666

I had the orange one and white one. Pinaki if possible try to keep them you will love it.

And yes get the red one please. After watching the photo you have sent, I am also thinking of keeping one of them :)
xarg0n
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by xarg0n »

This one is full blue. Last Sunday I saw one scarlet. Amazing color. Recently market is full of crays. Not sure of this high cray inrush but definitely there has to be some good demand. And never keep more than one unless very large space you can offer. Else they will fight until one perish !

via Tapatalk....
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

Abhishek

I need more images Sourav Da, I just love Blue :)