Shrimp Tankmates

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Shrimp Tankmates

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Experts...

The wife has said NO to an exclusive shrimp tank. So I have no choice but to look at my 4 feeter which has a pair of scissortail rasboras, 10 odd neons, 6 panda corys and 3 turbo algae eaters.

I am absolutely fascinated with the native shrimps. What varieties can I keep with these fish ?

Or should I look at exotic varieties ?

Would be grateful for recommendations !!
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shrimp Tankmates

Unread post by SCORPIO »

All of the current fishes are not safe for shrimps.

Request your wife to keep one more small tank for shrimps. If don't know the technique to convince wife, let me know.... :LOL :LOL I am a scholar in these tricks.

Go for natives in starting.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

Agree with Rajiv bhai

Shrimps thrive in shrimp only tank. Shrimplets become easy meal for smallest of the fishes too. So if you intend to multiply some shrimps go for a dedicated shrimp tank.
For dedicated shrimp tank an ideal size would be 15x12x12/18x10x10, compact enough, holds adequete water and ease of maintenance.
Use simple air-driven sponge filters. Preferably a dark substrate and some mosses and ferns.

In size of the tank mentioned above you can maintain upto 100-150 shrimps with 50% water change weekly.

Its always better to have separate tanks for different varieties of shrimps(especially from same genus).

Warning! Shrimp keeping is addictive in its own right, before you realize you could be into racks housing multiple tanks. ;)
First you want to see them multiply and they do, then you'll go a step further selective breeding to enhance quality of your shrimp population. Then comes trading off for more exotic varieties...on and on.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Ha ha ha ha Rajiv.....super stuff.

Yes Hamza...I know what you are saying...it is mighty addictive.

Thanks for the suggestions...so the 4 feeter is definitely out.
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

you have to go for a new small tank for shrimps. a 18" tank will enough for shrimps.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Dada if you are not interested in the shrimplet survival...then can go with fishes..

And if you want a good colony then best is to go with a shrimp only tank as mentioned :)
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I have never kept boraras brigittae. will they also not leave shrimplets alone? I hope they do... but I guess it is unlikely.. hope I am wrong.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:I have never kept boraras brigittae. will they also not leave shrimplets alone? I hope they do... but I guess it is unlikely.. hope I am wrong.
They also eat shrimplets.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

So is the problem with shrimps or the shrimplets ? Suppose I got say 20 rhinos from Andrewda...now thats a decent colony for a 4 feeter. Will they survive neons, pandas etc ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Adults will survive with neons but if population do not increases, shrimps will disappear with time.