So the romifex crashed!

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

So the romifex crashed!

Unread post by deepesh »

Both romifex cultures crashed. What luck!

I was greedy and hoping for a bumper crop I had started then back on powdered oats instead of their regular banana peels. They were doing ok for the past week but I must have been overfeeding for today morning there was only a brown stinking mess with ghostly white dead worms all over.

Another factor must have been too many worms. I was saving up for the loaches to enjoy a feast. grrr I have only myself to blame.

I expect sukhdeep's culture is too young to split so a trip to Delhi is scheduled for the first week of June. Oh the heat!!
Last edited by deepesh on Mon May 20, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: So the romifex crashed!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Wash the culture box and flood the scotch brite, you may see some small clumps. to restart the culture.

this stinking mess is actually a cycle in my cultures every month or 2 i get this mass destruction in my cultures (happens one by one) the only thing i see to combact this is to change the scotch brite(i wash the old one and put it in the sun to dry and disinfect.(reuse this in the next cycle.)
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

From the Pink Panther 2006

Ponton: He was just found dead in a training facility locker room. Shot in the head.
Clouseau: Was it fatal?
Ponton: Yes.
Clouseau: How fatal?
Ponton: Um, completely.

But yes I have done a 100% water change. And am on my knees praying. :lol:
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

chance too lobo lage bhal ei hobo (its better to take a chance than give up) but yes such crashes are usually wipe-outs. I suggested the step because i did it with one box that met with the same fate as yours. and today saw 2 clumps of 4-5 worms each.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

VishaalDalal wrote:Wash the culture box and flood the scotch brite, you may see some small clumps. to restart the culture.

this stinking mess is actually a cycle in my cultures every month or 2 i get this mass destruction in my cultures (happens one by one) the only thing i see to combact this is to change the scotch brite(i wash the old one and put it in the sun to dry and disinfect.(reuse this in the next cycle.)
:1
it does happen. It did with me too, just keep some back ups and spare scotch brite for rotation.
---
Amol
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Some problem with my romifex too. Deepesh, 2 days back i could have given you romifex culture as they were growing quickly but dont know how mosquitoes bred in it. maybe forgot to close the lid for an hour or so. And the second culture i started some watery white patches, don't know what they are any ideas?
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

I have to share something, I have the roomifex running in a the same box for past 4 months, it has not crashed even once.
I am not using scotch brite, instead of that i am using hair algae lumps as holder for the worms.
I am doing complete almost 100% WC once in a week.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

No probs sukhdeep. If there are mosquitoes then you are doing fine. The watery white stuff is likely a bacterial colony. Wash it off and keep up with the water changes.

@syed: is the hair algae still alive or does it die off? Do you get big harvests like this? A weekly water change seems quite low maintenance and I wouldn't mind that at all for the next time even if harvests are a little low. I have got a little hair algae in my tank and I would really like it to grow but it seems the higher plants are out competing it.
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

I get decent culture, its not bumper, but decent.
I do 20-30% WC everyday and then almost 100% once a week.

Hair algae stays the size you put it in, yea just ensure it is not getting good light, if that happens then the algae will grow.
prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by prajjwal »

Actually my romifex was doing bad few weeks ego.. I was neglecting them and use to change water twice a week... also temperature was a factor, so I shifted the to the aquarium cabinet and now changing water twice a day...each time a little pinch of powdered oatmeal .... they are doing too good... just fade my live eaters. One thing I have noticed, supplement the multivitamin + multi-minerals in very very low dose, helps to bring faster growth and more reddish colour.

Just one quarry, what other feed they can digest (as i am feeding them oatmeal fro last 1 n a half years, they must be bored :P) ?.

I have also found that larger the container, better chance of survival in long run.

Regards,