Brine shrimp eggs

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Brine shrimp eggs

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Hi,

Anyone know of a good source for brine shrimp eggs. I am looking to make the eggs hatch, hence am not looking for the decapsulated stuff.

Is any hobbyist using this as feed ?
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Brine shrimp eggs

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

The best source to get brine shrimp eggs is online (eBay). If you can get it from the US then it will be much cheaper.

There are mainly two kinds of eggs available widely, one is found in the San Francisco Bay area known ‘San Francisco strain’ and the other is ‘Great Salt Lake strain’. San Francisco strain are smaller in size and are much more expensive than the Great Salt Lake strain.

I have been hatching and using BBS almost everyday since the past two and half years to feed small fry and tiny fish such as Hyphessobrycon amandae and Boraras brigittae. All you need is a brine shrimp hatchery (The method would depend upon the no of eggs you need to hatch). The most popular and effective way would be as mentioned in this article - http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diyfee ... hrimph.htm

Its best to feed your fish newly hatched brine shrimp (the eggs would hatch in 24 hrs depending upon the temperature and light source). They would start losing their nutritional value with time as they start consuming their yolk sack.

The approximate nutritional composition is as follows:
Protein: 55%
Fat: 14.0% minimum
Ash: 8.1% minimum
Moisture: 7.0% maximum
Source - (Brineshrimpdirect)

Avoid overfeeding as it may cause swimbladder disease.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I found a guy in Thrissur on eBay India. Have ordered from him. Lets see what the hatch rate is.
jack

Unread post by jack »

Sorry to hack the thread

i am looking for decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for hatching since quite long but not getting any
any source ?

Vijenra how do u manage to separate egg shells and BBS ?? i am bit lazy to do that and also afraid what if shells goes in the tank..
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I think decapsulated eggs don't hatch...

BTW, these r available on eBay India
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

jack wrote:Sorry to hack the thread

i am looking for decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for hatching since quite long but not getting any
any source ?

Vijenra how do u manage to separate egg shells and BBS ?? i am bit lazy to do that and also afraid what if shells goes in the tank..
As rightly said by apuda decapsulated eggs dont hatch, they are directly fed to fish.
The process of removing the hard shell that surrounds the brine shrimp embryo is known as decapsulation.

Just hold a torch light above the hatchery, the BBS are attracted to light, all you need to do is syphon them out from the top, the egg shells will lay at the bottom. Rinse them in normal tap water and you are good to go.
jack

Unread post by jack »

Great Thanks :) ll have to try i have JBL Hatchery aswell
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D