Blood worms

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
aamir
Experts
Experts

Blood worms

Unread post by aamir »

Fb....(aamir.khan.180072@facebook.com)
New number 9560682201
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Blood worms

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Have you cultured them......??
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Vijendra

they appear spontaneously, in containers of water kept outside and kept cool. i have seen the midge fly (they are its larvae) laying eggs in my tank! i get them in my mosquito larvae tubs all year when the weatehr is not too extreme.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

any luck culturing them?
Sushant
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

sushant wrote:any luck culturing them?
culturing them?? :o :cnf .if i am not wrong they can't be cultured
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

ishaan wrote:
i have no idea abt it. thats why i asked
Sushant
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

sushant wrote:
ishaan wrote:
i have no idea abt it. thats why i asked
wait for the response from live food experts :LOL
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

They cannot be cultured in the sense that u can't take a few of them and hope they make babies so that u can have a lot of them, as in the case of grindals, daphnia, red wigglers. This is because they are not adults but larvae. the adults cannot be kept in captivity, the midge fly lays eggs in water and they hatch into blood worms. In that sense, they are like mosquit larvae, so if u want to use them, keep a tank (or similar container) outside in shade that has at least 8 inches deep water, add some manure or soil, a few handfuls will do. over time, as the bioload of the container stabilizes, add aquarium water to top up evaporated water. soon enough, unless u live in a total concrete jungle witout greenery, the midge fly (chironomid midge fly) will buzz in and, wanting a nice convenient water body, begin to lay eggs in it. then u take the sediment of the tank out with something like a fish net u use for your aquarium, theb put it in tea strainer just touching the surface of water in a contaner. bood red bloodworms will wriggle out from the dirt and squirm and writhe until they slip into the wwater.

voila, u have fresh blood worms! :lol: Many times more nutritious than dried bloodworms and cheap too.

all this sounds like hard work, but hey, good things dont come that easily, do they? i harvest them from the same plastic tubs that i keep outside for mosquito larvae. Amir also does the same, i think. so that is really no work, just harvesting! So think of it as a free gift if u keep a tank outside.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:They cannot be cultured in the sense that u can't take a few of them and hope they make babies so that u can have a lot of them, as in the case of grindals, daphnia, red wigglers. This is because they are not adults but larvae. the adults cannot be kept in captivity, the midge fly lays eggs in water and they hatch into blood worms. In that sense, they are like mosquit larvae, so if u want to use them, keep a tank or similar container full of at least 8 inches deep water, and add some manure or soil, a few handfuls. over time, as the bioload of the container stabilizes, add aquarium water to top up evaporated water. after some time, the midge fly (chironomid midge fly) will begin to lay eggs. then u take the sediment of the tank out, and put it in tea strainer just touching the surface of water in a contaner. bood red bloodworms will wiggle out from the dirt and into the wwater.

voila, fresh blood worms! :lol:

sounds like hard work, but hey, good things dont come that easily, do they? i harvest them from the same plastic tubs that i keep outside for mosquito larvae. Amir also does the same, i think. so that is really no work, just harvesting! So think of it as a free gift if u keep a tank outside.
I can say without any doubt, two most experienced Live Food Experts namely Romi and Aamir are here. No one can beat their knowledge in the country. :LOL
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Amir is not doing his share these days. He needs a scolding from u ;)