wish to set up a marine tank

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
Sripad
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: wish to set up a marine tank

Unread post by Sripad »

Yup.. meeting people and all is fine but nobody will sit and explain everything.. that is why you need to read
ABBI
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ABBI »

thx to all ...SRIPAD, SCROP., MAAZ, SHERGILL, JACK.....

yaar sikha rahe ho ki le rahe ho.....
i utlilized this Sunday reading a lot posts on this forum...

anyways pl watch "Fukrey"...AGAIN
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

ABBI wrote:

yaar sikha rahe ho ki le rahe ho.....
:LOL :roll

Jokes apart Abbi there is no short cut.
jack

Unread post by jack »

To get back to point

Its great that your started reading. My reply here is not to demotivate you nor i am trying to tell you not to start but this is what i would suggest

Bigger the better as this is your first marine, big tanks are advisible as the water parameters remains more stable and water parameter flactuations avoided that reduces the stress in fish

Read read read and read more, i never use to read but once i started reading and now cant stop.... I seriously if have read like this in my school would have made my parents proud :LOL

Dont make impulsive buys, you might get carried away but think before you buy i have wasted thousands of rs on unwanted stuff so always save for the right stuff

Marine tank needs lots of patience, if you have go ahead i waited for like 4-5 months to get my first fish swiming in

Always over filter the tank ( my persobal advise, some people might not agree but there has been no proven theory i have read soo far that says over filteration is bad )

Cycle the tank properly and dont introduce fishes too fast

Get the best that you can afford thats the ultimate personal advise i can give.... Invest in good led light ( if plans for corals) the best skimmer you can get

Marine is expensive, i started with a budget of X amount and what i am doing ?? My total expense is 3X times than i projected and still have stuff worth 5X lying in market which i need to buy to get my stuff going as the way i like

Try to get chiller its a much

And once again its great to have you here fun was missing ;)
Nothing is impossible, just be patient and do it right you can also own a piece of sea in your house :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
jack

Unread post by jack »

And 1 piece of advice try and as a nature friendly person you would also agree

Try to save reef avoid Live Rocks and make you own rocks

Check my thread i have made mine and have never encountered with any problem and looks fantastic.....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by gauravgupta »

I have 100 gallon fish only marine tank which I have started without reading much about it or you can say nothing about it. you can see the pics viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1895.
It is running without any sump. I am not facing much problems in it but still everything is expensive. Hang on back skimmer and external filter are working fine.
Biggest problem is with electricity in Meerut as I have lost several fishes because of long power cut. I have installed double battery inverter just for my marine setup.
Bigger tank size is must for it, atleast 100 gallon. Artificial rocks and corals are available in market. Then Live sand. Water making is not an big task.

1st decide between fish only tank or reef tank.
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

Hi! ABBI, its nice to see that you bitten by salty bug. Don't worry, it is not a big problem as people says, it is very easy to keep saltwater tank if you know the facts well.

Ok, lets we start the first semester of saltwater system.

Please consider following to start a marine tank.

01. First choose the fishes which you want to keep and check there compatibility.

02. Build a tank and sump according chosen fishes. Tank size should be sufficient so that all fishes thrive well in there.

03 Arrange good quality foods for fishes.

04 Arrange equipments according to the tank size e.i.Chiller should be rated more then your tanks water capacity and protein skimmer as well. Lighting requirements depends on your choice of keeping Fish only tank or Invertebrates in future.

05. Build a quarantine tank as it is necessary.

06. Arrange necessary medicines for fishes and additives to maintain water parameters.

07. There should be good quality water test kits.

08. Arrange Man Made Live Rocks or LR or Dead Rocks. It depends on availability. You also need Live Sand as per the volume of water. (main tank+sump).

09. Make salt water with the good quality salt mixes and release it into the tank. Also try to arrange some beneficial bacteria for proper recycle of the tank.

10. Check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate after every third day.

Semester 2nd will be start after the completion of nitrogen cycle.

ABBI I had never said you to read, read and read. Reading is not mandatory for intelligent guys who had already read a lot.

But one thing, I also say that compare the product and price before purchasing anything. You can also get response of other hobbyist.

Regards,

Ashok
Ashok
Sripad
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Sripad »

Agreed :)
But some basic reading at least has to be done, as lots of things are very different from freshwater and may cause problems later on. One example is marine "ich" compared to freshwater ich, the genus of the parasite is completely different, and the life cycle, treatment method etc are all very different
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

Sripad wrote:Agreed :)
But some basic reading at least has to be done, as lots of things are very different from freshwater and may cause problems later on. One example is marine "ich" compared to freshwater ich, the genus of the parasite is completely different, and the life cycle, treatment method etc are all very different
Excelence in fishkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals and learning from mistakes.

Ashok
Ashok
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Ashok Ji, nice writeup.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda