DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

parthapratim22 wrote:Rajivji one question...I use cocopeat but is that same as cocopeat soil??? What I use is a dark brown substrate but cant find any mixture of soil in it...but as you said a half inches of cocopeat soil...but I use few teaspoon of it in the bottom layer...found that it may cause brown leach...can you put some light on the difference!!!
Yes it is same looks like as cow dung fertilizers. It is iron rich substrate and leach black/brown. After 9-10 days your water will be crystal clear and you have continuous source of iron in your aquarium.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Ok you mean to say after leaching for 9-10days it will not leach any more...great.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am using these materials from a long time. Never any problem faced. Now I am planning a new nano tank with ADA substrate.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:Now I am planning a new nano tank with ADA substrate.
ADA don't recommend combining any other type of substrate.
Sushant
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

sushant wrote:
How much ADA substrate will be require for 45X30X30 cm tank? I will add only some rocks in this tank. Plants will be Utricularia gramanofoila, Glosso, Blyxa japonica.

jack

Unread post by jack »

SCORPIO wrote:
sushant wrote:
How much ADA substrate will be require for 45X30X30 cm tank? I will add only some rocks in this tank. Plants will be Utricularia gramanofoila, Glosso, Blyxa japonica.

Utricularia gramanofoila nice choice bro, for my 18X9X12 tank i used less than 2 lt of ADA substrate. so for tank of your size you might need 9 lt, one bag.... not sure though
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:
sushant wrote:
if u are planning for a substrate height of 2 inches then ideally around 7 lts of ADA will be required. normally we try maintaining slope and stones are also used for hard scaping keeping this in mind i guess 5 lts will be enough.
Sushant
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

i was told by seetharam to use porous stones like lava rock instead of power sand at the bottom layer for almost the same results. this will as well add up to some volume that why i said 5 lts will be enoug. actually i'm also planing to change my similar sized nano to ADA and with the same volume ;) .
Sushant
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

UG?? thats indeed the most beautiful foreground plant, my last attempt to grow it was a complete failure (probably it was my substrate or the delicate nature of plant,it was not in very good condition when it arrived). where are you sourcing them from? i too want to give it another try plz count me too while placing the order.
Sushant
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

sushant wrote:UG?? thats indeed the most beautiful foreground plant, my last attempt to grow it was a complete failure (probably it was my substrate or the delicate nature of plant,it was not in very good condition when it arrived). where are you sourcing them from? i too want to give it another try plz count me too while placing the order.
I have already that plant from last 3 months in low tech condition means without CO2 and low light. It is not growing rapidly but growing :lol: . This plant need clean water to thrive.