My current American Cichlid setup

Forum for discussion on Cichlids.
maheep007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

My current American Cichlid setup

Unread post by maheep007 »

This is my current scape, getting tired of it since its been like 3-4 months looking at it this way, thinking of re-scaping it. Will try to use more wood n some leaves to create black water conditions, not much though. Lets see when do i actually get time to re-scape.

Current stats-
Tank size - 72x20x24 Inches
Substrate - Very fine sandy gravel
Filtration - 2 X Dophin 1600 Canister Filters
Lighting - 2 Fluorescent CFL bulbs 5 Watt each
Temperature (28D) controlled by a Haliea 300A Chiller in summers
Decor - Natural rocks n coral & Driftwood
Flora - Anubias Nana (not anymore)
Fauna - 10" Green Terror
6" Paratilapia Polleni
3" Copper Shaded Tiger/Green Oscar
5-7" Texas Cichlids
3" EBJD

Future Fauna plans - Jaguar, Normal Jack Dempsey & Indonesian Tiger Fish :)

Here r the tank pics
Any suggestions wd be welcome Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maheep007 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: My current American Cichlid setup

Unread post by ishaan »

your tank looks nice but i feel that the left side is bit empty some woods at the left will look good :thumup
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

I like the layout as it is. If you push the right side more into a heap and add some rounded river rocks on the left, you can create a riverine look. Any shots of the EBJD?
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

wht a nice tank, maheep.

can u make a background with rocks/slate or something, it will take the tank up several notches instantly! Take some close ups of your fish for us :clap
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

A overall nice setup. Adding some woods in the setup will beautify the tank. :clap
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

this is sheer luxory boss, keep it up
very interesting shades on the hood
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
maheep007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Thank you everybody for your inputs, i did the scape again today, not yet satisfied, will again try to re-do little subtle changes here and there and take new pics n ask your opinion.
@Ishaan - That was the look i was trying to give, a slope island kind of a look, with a heap of stone/wood on one side slowing descending into small stones & sand.
@Abhi - Yes thats what i'm trying to do too, will try to get a picture of EBJD, but these things are too darn delicate, till date i've wasted 5-7 EBJD's, no wonder i'm so desperate fpr a normal JD.
@Romi, i heard some say that with time those backgrounds start to disintegrate n rot, that they are not that practical and make the space look cramped, so went with a black background, still one of these days in my heart i know i will try that back ground too.
@Scorpio - Thanx sir, still in the middle of doing it, lets see.
@Marsaiko - Thanx pal, but this luxury is taking its toll on me, lol, it takes me 4-5 hours a day on it if i decide to re-scape it, the hood is a simple ply board with sun mica, what your're seeing is a sticker to hide the water level mark, will try to take close up shots soon.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

maheep007 wrote:Thank you everybody for your inputs, i did the scape again today, not yet satisfied, will again try to re-do little subtle changes here and there and take new pics n ask your opinion.
@Ishaan - That was the look i was trying to give, a slope island kind of a look, with a heap of stone/wood on one side slowing descending into small stones & sand.
@Abhi - Yes thats what i'm trying to do too, will try to get a picture of EBJD, but these things are too darn delicate, till date i've wasted 5-7 EBJD's, no wonder i'm so desperate fpr a normal JD.
@Romi, i heard some say that with time those backgrounds start to disintegrate n rot, that they are not that practical and make the space look cramped, so went with a black background, still one of these days in my heart i know i will try that back ground too.
@Scorpio - Thanx sir, still in the middle of doing it, lets see.
@Marsaiko - Thanx pal, but this luxury is taking its toll on me, lol, it takes me 4-5 hours a day on it if i decide to re-scape it, the hood is a simple ply board with sun mica, what your're seeing is a sticker to hide the water level mark, will try to take close up shots soon.
Maheep brother, here all are hobbyist and have equal status. So please don't call anybody Sir etc.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
maheep007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Abhi wrote:I like the layout as it is. If you push the right side more into a heap and add some rounded river rocks on the left, you can create a riverine look. Any shots of the EBJD?
Here you go :) the EBJD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheep007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Romi wrote:wht a nice tank, maheep.

can u make a background with rocks/slate or something, it will take the tank up several notches instantly! Take some close ups of your fish for us :clap
Here you go..